Associate Professor of Neurosurgery
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Dr. Eric Jackson specializes in the evaluation and treatment of patients with a broad range of neurosurgical disorders, including congenital malformations of the brain and spine, hydrocephalus (including endoscopic treatment), chiari malformation, craniosynostosis, spinal dysraphism/tethered cord, brain and spinal cord tumors, and traumatic brain injuries.
He is the Principal Investigator for several multi-institution research studies, including:
- Hydrocephalus Clinical Research Network: currently investigating endoscopic surgery vs shunting for the treatment of hydrocephalus in infants in a $10M randomized trial funded by the NIH
- Park Reeves Syringomyelia Research Consortium
- Advancing the treatment for pediatric craniopharyngioma, identifying biological targets for molecular therapy
- A multi-institutional trial investigating a non-invasive eye tracking device for assessing increased intracranial pressure
- His laboratory efforts include investigating alternate treatments for pediatric patients with brain tumors, having studied oncolytic virotherapy and new methods of treatment delivery for gene therapy.
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma
A presumptive diagnosis of DIPG based on classic imaging features, in the absence of a histologic diagnosis, has been routinely employed. Increasingly however, histologic confirmation is obtained for both entry into research studies and molecular characterization of the tumor. New approaches with
Children's Brain Tumor Network - Accelerating Research Through Collaboration and Open Science
This presentation highlights the impact and importance of the collaborative and open source nature of CBTN databases and samples.
Jena Lilly, Jennifer Mason, Elizabeth Appert, Allison Heath, Yuankun Zhu, Bo Zhang, Mateusz Koptyra, Mariarita Santi, Ian Pollack, Stewart Goldman, Sarah Leary, Anna Buccoliero, Mirko Scagnet, David Haussler, Derek Hanson, Jiangguo Zhang, Weiqing Wan, Chunde Li, Ron Firestein, Jason Cain, Joanna Phillips, Nalin Gupta, Sabine Mueller, Gerald Grant, Michelle Monje-Deisseroth, Sonia Partap, Jeffrey Greenfield, Brian Rood, Javad Nazarian, Eric Raabe, Eric Jackson, Stacie Stapleton, Robert Lober, David Kram, Phillip Storm, Rishi Lulla, Michael Prados, Adam Resnick, and Angela Waanders